Regeneration of certs/0

Michael R Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Jul 3 06:17:04 PDT 2005

Phil Endecott wrote:
> Hi CUPS people,
>
> I am trying to get my hard disk to spin down when idle, using
> noflushd, and then stay spun down.  The trouble is all sorts of
> programs keep writing to files and waking it up!  It is a difficult
> task.
>
> So, the latest one I've found is that CUPS regenerates certs/0 every
> 5 minutes.  Why does it need to do that?  Can I change it?

It does that for better security.  You can use the RootCertDuration
directive in cupsd.conf to control how often the certificate is
updated - the default is 300 seconds (5 minutes), but you can set
it higher (86400 would be 1 day, for example) or to 0 to disable
the updates entirely.

FWIW, this question was just recently asked and answered in this
forum...