Network Printers - Stopping.

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Tue Jul 5 04:01:53 PDT 2005

> > > Are you using reserved source ports for your LPD driven printers? If yes, the lpd backend uses only
> > > port numbers 721 .. 732, that means at most 12 jobs may be processed in parallel. If your printers
> > > support printing from unresoerved ports, try that.
> > >
> > > Helge
> > >
> > > --
> > > Helge Blischke
> > > Softwareentwicklung
> > > SRZ Berlin | Firmengruppe besscom
> > > http://www.srz.de
> >
> > Hello Helge
> >
> > Sorry, do not understand your questions?
> >
> > All the printers either have Network Ports in them, or are on Print Servers. I have not configured anything different on the Linux server, just a BASE install with applied updates.
> >
> > I have not changed any "defaults" withn Linux / CUPS if that is what you are asking?
> >
> > John
>
> To settle the issue step by step, a simple question first:
> What does the command
> 	lpstat -v printername
> (where printername is to be replaced by the name(s) of your printer(s)) reply?

======================
======================

Hello Helge

CONTRACT05 seems to have stopped printing for 20 minutes, these are the results

[root at d3server root]£ lpstat -v CONTRACT05
device for CONTRACT05: lpd://192.168.5.40/lpt1
[root at d3server root]£

[root at d3server root]£ ping 192.168.5.40

[root at d3server root]£ lpstat -a CONTRACT05
CONTRACT05 accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
[root at d3server root]£

On the CUPS WEB Printer Page (ie http://localhost:631), CONTRACT 05 says "connect from port 515..."

All the other printers say "Data Sent Successfully"

Then again, CONTRACT05 has woken up again and printed its job. At some point today, it will be a different PRINTER that goes into this mode.

John