Passing LPR arguments through 'cups-lpd '

Brian Schonecker Brian.Schonecker at Xtek.com
Wed Jul 6 05:11:11 PDT 2005

There is no standard way to pass job options over LPD, so CUPS does
not support it.  Novell does, however, support IPP, so you can use
IPP instead of LPD to get the options across.

I must disagree respectfully.  I'm using LPRng on a RedHat 7.1 server and if I capture the stream from LPD I get the following:

1   ps2pdf ,
2   -Abschone at SCHONECKER+142 ,
3   -CA ,
4   -Ff ,
5   -HSCHONECKER ,
6   -JHELLO ,
7   THERE ,
8   -Lbschone ,
9   -Npostscript.txt ,
10   -Pps2pdf ,
11   -Qps2pdf ,

etc, etc.  Those are most definately job options (or arguments from LPR) to the LPD server.

Simply by parsing argument #2 I am able to determine who printed the job and via LDAP queries what his email address is.

Note, that I'm using IF (input filter) in me /etc/printcap on the RedHat server but I've not been able to determine what the appropriate corollary for CUPS is.

My /etc/printcap:

ps2pdf:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :if=/home/pdf/ps2pdf ps2pdf:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ps2pdf:

Note that when I `lpr -Pps2pdf postscriptfile.txt` the '/home/pdf/ps2pdf' script gets called and the arguments are passed along with postscriptfile.txt as the input stream.

cup-lpd seems to ignore all the arguments.

Any other ideas to try?

Brian