Text on printout is stair stepped

Frank Winans fwinans at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 6 08:05:46 PDT 2005

"Helge Blischke" wrote
> Steve Roberts wrote:
> >
> > I recently installed a printer on a workstation and when I print a file <lp
/etc/cups/printers.conf> to the printer, the text on the paper is stair-stepped. The first line
starts at the top left which would be normal, then the second line starts printing one line
down at the end of the first line, and so on. I don't see anything beyond the third line,
because it goes off the page. Example:
> > #abcdef
> >        #
> >         #123456
> >
> > I have reviewed the mimes.convs and mimes.types files and I just don't know I need to get
the printout formatted properly.

> > Can anyone shed light on this for me?
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> For your brain-dead printer you obviously need a filter that converts LF to CRLF when
printing plain
> text. Search the CUPS newsgroups for the various proposals that have been posted here, or
invent it
> by yourself.
>
> Helge
>
> --
> Helge Blischke
> Softwareentwicklung
> SRZ Berlin | Firmengruppe besscom
> http://www.srz.de
See man   unix2dos   if your platform is un*x instead of windows-based,
for a filter command to append carriage returns to each line.  It is a very
minor shell script to write, if that  rpm package isn't included in your operating system
distro.