[cups.general] A2ps filter for text

Jeff Hardy hardyjm at potsdam.edu
Fri Jul 8 07:06:25 PDT 2005

You would have to write some kind of wrapper around a2ps that adheres to
the filter/backend API (wherever you wanted to put it).  I believe
(could be mistaken) that one of the original designs of CUPS allowed for
the various components to be swapped in and out more easily than this.

I actually just finished messing around with a very special-purpose
"a2pdf" backend that uses a2ps and ps2pdf to allow for job formatting
parameters to be passed through the job title.  We have a legacy VMS box
with a billion DCL scripts that had previously used PCL formatting
strings to send jobs to a line printer, but instead now prints PDFs.
You would probably have to do something similar:

http://fritz.potsdam.edu/projects/cupsapps