[cups.general] Jobname and Userid

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Jul 11 07:16:46 PDT 2005

Hello,

On Jul 11 04:58 Franz Pförtschh wrote (shortened):
> How do I transfer the Jobname and the printjob user when I use
> socket-connection.

Socket is plain data transfer to a port without any
higher level protocol (like the LPD protocol).

> When I use the lpd-connection it works well!

Because the LPD protocol supports meta-data transfer
like jobname and userid.

> I need this function to account the user and jobdata on a
> multifunction copy machine from canon iR 3100C EUR.

I guess this machine supports its own kind of JCL (Job Control
Language - something like HP's PJL).

If the JCL of this machine supports jobname and userid,
it should be not too hard to make a selfmade additional
filter or a selfmade socket-backend which inserts the
appropriate JCL stuff into the print data stream.

JCL options which can be selected by the user are supported
via PPD files but this doesn't help you in this case because
you would need an automated way to insert variable JCL stuff
into the print data stream.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de