Cups-Samba Printserver for windows clients

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Jul 13 07:09:43 PDT 2005

Angela Gavazzi wrote:

> Hallo!
>
> I'm setting up a new machine as cups printserver for my windows clients. I have a running installation which I have to replace. It's debian woody with cups 1.1.20 and samba 3.0.14 (both from backports)
> New Machine is a kubuntu server install.
> It comes with cups 1.1.23 and samba 3.0.10...
>
> On the old machine I'm used to install the printer for cups with some ppds and then cupsaddsmb the driver for the windows clients, then doubleclick the printer from windows - and it works.
>
> Does anybody know how I can perform this now, as the new cups is not compatible with the old driver and the new driver is beta, which I would prefer not to use productive.
>
> - I don't wont to compile the driver under windows, as it looks necessary from the readme for the new driver.
> - I tryed to add the new cups6*.dlls to the v5.dlls - but sincerely I don't have any idea how to get this running.
> - I was not able to install cups 1.1.20 with the new samba version on my kubuntu machine.
>
> Thanks very much i.a.
>
> angela

You could try to re-install the old cups-windows stuff by performing all the steps that cupsaddsmb does
by hand, as described in detail in chapter 20 of the "official samba howto" (download it from samba.org).

Helge

PS: I successfully followed this advice with several versions of CUPS on several UNIX/Linux systems.

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung