cups not working: gentoo installation.

David Weeks dkmw at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 13 21:27:34 PDT 2005

Hello.

I've been trying to print to an HP Deskjet 500, throught /dev/lp0, with a variety of ppd's, nothing is working.

I can cat files to /dev/lp0 and they "respond" the printer, with an ascii render of text.  But from KDE/X/GNU/Linux, I can't print.

I went to linuxprinting.org, and it suggests the pcl3 driver, which I tried, and even set it to 150 dpi, but it only prints nonsense.  I tried three other suggestions from that site, but none work, and some abort without even getting to /dev/lp0.

Huh.

I'm running on Gentoo, kernel 2.6.11-rc3, and everything is recent on my image.  As shown above, this is a local printer, but I'm using ipp to access it, keeping with convention.

Oh, and why aren't we using phpBB?