Virtual Printers

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Jul 14 05:29:53 PDT 2005

Anonymous wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to get virtual pritning to work in some way with CUPS. i have read the info on "pseudo-printers" but have not been able to actuallty get one to work the way I would like. I come from an AIX printing background and with its print system I can define a virtual device which essentially is the "end of the pipe" for print jobs. eg. I create a print Q select the printer connection, model, driver so I get all of the nice pre-processing from the driver etc. Then the print job is piped to the vitrual device that I have created. The virtual device is usually a shell script that I use to do some final formatting or processing before re-queueing the job to another raw Q.
>
> Is this possible with CUPS?
>
> Here is specifically what I want to do:
>
> create a print Q in CUPS that accepts jobs from remote windows clients, grabs the job input file pipes it to a shell script and once the shell script exits, the job is done.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> mike

Your "virtual printer" would be a CUPS configured printer that uses a specific backend. This may be a
compiled program or a script (be it a shell, or Perl, or Python, or ...). The only requirements to obey
are what the CUPS manuals tell about the backend design priciples (environment vars to read,
command line parameters and so on.

If necessary, I could give you some examples.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung