[cups.general] Printing to file using PPD, virtual printer

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Jul 14 05:49:06 PDT 2005

Hello,

On Jul 14 08:17 loony wrote (shortened):
> how do I print to a file ... using a PPD for a printer not locally
> installed (it's an imagesetting device). I need to deliver a ps file
> using the specific PPD.

Get the remote PPD from the remote CUPS server, see
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/05/jsmeix_print-cups-in-a-nutshell.html
"cupsd Web Front-end"
how to do it.
If the remote PPD is not available via a remote CUPS server,
ask the admin of the remote print server for the PPD.

Set up a local queue using the PPD and the "file" Backend.
See /etc/cups/cupsd.conf regarding "FileDevice".

By the way:
Why do you need to deliver a printer specific PostScript file
and not a generic PostScript or PDF file which could be printed
on any printer?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de