printer configuration reset on boot

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sat Jul 16 07:49:16 PDT 2005

nicolas.morales at uam.es wrote:

> I have been using Linux for a time but never touched anything from the configuration. I manage my printers with CUPS and they work fine, but everytime I reboot my machine my default printer is reconfigured. Also, CUPS locates many printers of which I know nothing.
> Could anyone help me with these 2 problems?
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Nicolas

It may be that, on your system, one of the desktop configuration tools (depending on whether you use
Gnome or KDE) causes this issue. I know that on FC3 and higher the Gnome's printer configuration tool
modifies the CUPS configuration, but, as I never did any configuration using that tool, I didn't
encounter this issue.
I suspect you have to decide once and for all if you configure your printing system by the desktop's
config tool(s) or by CUPS alone.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke