CUPS/hpijs and print cartridges refill

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Sun Jul 17 17:34:51 PDT 2005

My HP DeskJet 3325,in Debian3.1(Sarge),CUPS and hpijs
driver,prints a pdf file(black text) OK,but only when
the color print cartridge is installed.
When ONLY the black cartridge is installed the printer
reacts but prints BLANK pages.When only the color
cartridge is there,prints OK.When booth installed prints
OK(I suppose: only CMY black).
The black cartridge was refilled with quality ink,exactly
according the refilling instructions,the cartridge print
head is plenty of ink(kitchen paper comes always plenty
of ink,when I softly pass it over the print head).

1)So,is the hpijs driver programmed to ignore refilled
cartridges? ---> in MacOS9.2 that same refilled cartridge
is considered EMPTY(zero %) by the HP inkjet utility.
I needed to use a trick for the printer to print only
with this refilled black cartridge,but sometimes does
not work.

2)Or,do I need to configure something in CUPS(or hpijs)
  for the printer to print ONLY with the black print
  cartridge?

3)Or do I need to use the gimp-print drivers not
  connected to Hewlett-Packard(perhaps more friendly
  with refilled cartridges)?

I need my Debian/Linux system printing OK with refilled
cartridges so I appreciate advice about it.

                     Thanks.