draft quality

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Mon Jul 18 06:08:21 PDT 2005

ello

I got a HP PSC-2355 all-in-one printer, have have successfuly networked it using CUPS at port 631, and am able to print from both linux and windows stations using postscript drivers (+ppd). HP do not supply a network driver for this printer, so imagesetter or adobe PS driver were used.

When this printer connected directly to a windows machine using HP's driver, I am able to print at an amazing speed if lowest quality is selected, almost 3 seconds per page.

However, when networked with CUPS, no matter what settings I used from the client computer, the printer only seems to print at highest quality (which make sense because its a PS driver). Not only use up much more ink, also taken much much longer for printing each page (a factor of 10 slower maybe).

Since the ppd file seems to include printing quality, I am wondering is there any way I can make it print at draft quality.

All ideas / suggestion welcome, I am the admin (but a newbie), I have total control of the server and printer and clients.

Thanks