CUPS automatically stops printers

Joris joris at nospam.com
Mon Jul 18 07:48:34 PDT 2005

Helge Blischke a écrit :
> Joris wrote:
>
>>Helge Blischke a écrit :

>>>Did you see messages like
>>>
>>>E [02/Jun/2005:08:31:07 -0100] [Job 7268] SigPipe: received SIGPIPE
>>>
>>>in your error_log?
>>>
>>>If yes, the printer probably does not honour the @PJL USTATUS JOB and
>>>related commands which
>>>the hpnpf backend issues. Depending on the printer and/or the JetDirect
>>>firmware version,
>>>the printer may simply shut down the connection after it has received
>>>the job instead of
>>>waiting until the job has been printed ...
>>>
>>>You may use hpnpf as a standalone utility (use "hpnpf" without any
>>>command line parameters to get a
>>>short description of all the available options)
>>>
>>>Helge
>>>

>>Yes indeed, i can see this error message in my logs.
>>
>>My printer (HP8150) firmware is up to date, so the mystery is full :p
>>
>>Thanks for your help Helge, i'll try to tweak hpnpf later.
>>Til then, i stick with my auto-restart script.
>>
>>Cheers.
>

> Strange. As I happen to have an HP8150 at hand, I just tested it using hpnpf offline:
>
> % hpnpf -x hp8150 -W -T testprint.ps
> token = @PJL USTATUS PAGE
> token = 1
> token = ID=8018
> token = @PJL USTATUS JOB
> token = END
> token = NAME="xxxxxx.11923"
> token = PAGES=0
> token = ID=8019
> token = RESULT=OK
>
> The date code of the printer is "20020311" for all components, and the JetDirect
> is J4169A.
>
> Helge

Hi again ;)

I have the same Jetdirect version, but I couldn't find the date
code. The printer's firmware is however L.25.47

Me thinks the problem lies somewhere, as I got 2 other HP
printers who went offline (they're both driven with the standard
socket backend.)

 From the logs, I can see that there is always a problem of
"connection reset by peer" then the PID doing the printing job
exited with status code 1.

Now i'm using the "debug" settings in cupsd.conf to find out more
about this issue.

Man, this is crazy, I keep you in touch :o

Cheers :)