[cups.general] Re: CANON PIXMA Driver

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Wed Jul 20 08:59:13 PDT 2005

Anonymous wrote:
[...]
> > ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/

[...]
> > usr/share/cups/model $ cupstestppd canonpixusip4100.ppd
> > canonpixusip4100.ppd: PASS
> >
> > At least it passes as a valid ppd...! ;)

Those drivers are only suitable for a private user, not for
distribution.

There are many reasons. E.g. Canon is naming files identical for
different printer models, /usr/loca/bin/bjcupsmon is present in any
iPxxxx printer filter. This means, a customer cannot connect an
iP4100, and an iP3100 simultaneous to the same PC. Having both, is
impossible (or will destroy programs of the other printer model).

Another reason is, that Canon is only distributing some essential
libraries as "binary only", and only for 32-bit architecture. So our
AMD64-bit customer (and customers of some other, weird architectures)
cannot use them neither.

Shipping those libraries as "binary only", includes the drawback that
we are not able to react spontaneos if there are security updates. We
have to hope that Canon will release fixed libraries soon, but cannot
influence it in any way.

Yes, we are aware of those filters. But at least these given, obvious
reasons makes it impossible for my point of view to ship them in a
Linux distribution.

Sorry for the bad news.

Regards,
	Klaus.