browsing and printer properties

Peter DYGJHCHBAKTD at spammotel.com
Mon Jul 25 09:05:11 PDT 2005

Michael R Sweet wrote:
> Peter wrote:
> > When CUPS listens to browsing broadcasts, and sets up a remote
> > printer, are the printer properties (like paper size, etc.) also
> > transferred and configured? I assume that's the same question as:
> > Does CUPS know which PPD to use for the printer?
>
> CUPS adds ".ppd" to the printer URI to get the PPD URL.

Oh, I see. Thank you!

So the CUPS client should actually use this PPD, and printer properties should also be available on the client, right? How can I check whether the CUPS client uses the right PPD (apart from gnome-cups-manager)?

> > The background for my question: I noticed that sometimes
> > gnome-cups-manager is showing properties for remote printers which
> > were configured automatically with the browsing feature, and
> > sometimes it isn't. How can that be?
>
> It could be improper (security) configuration of /printers on the
> server, or it could be a bug in GNOME.

I don't think that this is about an improper configuration of /printers on the server since I can access the printer's PPD using a web-browser. So there's probably a problem on the client side.