[cups.general] Printing only with black(K) cartridge.

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Mon Jul 25 18:37:22 PDT 2005

"Refill" lists the consumables. Here the printer needs always a CMY
cartridge. If you want, you can also install a black cartridge, but you
do not have to do so. The printer comes only with the CMY cartridge.

"No known autodetection signatures" means that no info is available in
the database for auto-detecting the printer. Neither the IEEE-1284 ID
string which the printer answers back on auto-detection requests on USB
or parallel port nor the model name which is answered back by a
network-connected printer on an appropriate SNMP request.

These entries do not tell about the ability of a printer to be able to
print when only the black cartridge is installed. Some HP inkjet
printers do actually print then, with colors converted to grayscale. But
this probably works only with printers with enough "intelligence" in
their hardware, which means that only not too old PCL models are able to
do this.

The 3325 is a LIDIL printer. These printers are rather dumb from the
harsdware side. So they will need a mode in the driver (only HPIJS/HPLIP
supports these printers) which does only use the black ink. I am not
sure whether the grayscale modes of HPIJS for this printer really use
only the black ink. David? Jacqeline?

    Till