store my password for AuthType Basic

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Wed Jul 27 02:10:54 PDT 2005

The university runs a CUPS server that restricts access based on IP... since my desktop is not trusted by the server, I must authenticate using Basic authentication before the server will accept my job. Eg, from the command line lpr requestes a password before continuing (works great.)

Alas hardly any application understand basic authentication it seems... they don't ask for the password, eg, ooffice etc... they just take the job and queue it for ever as the server is rejecting access with 401 errors.

How am I supposed to do this automatically? I looked at lpr but I can see no option for passing a password in? Maybe lpoptions?

Please help,
Mark Twin