cupsd on solaris

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Jul 27 05:24:12 PDT 2005

Anonymous wrote:

> I'm using cups version 1.1.19 provided in the Solaris CD. I can not find a newer bundled version yet, but I will get the source soon, but want to know if it's a common problem others are having.
>
> Lately I've been having errors in my log file:
> bsd-gw[10149]: [ID 251782 lpr.error] Can't communicate with spooler for xxx for all printers.
>
> This complain keeps occuring, but printing happens anyway. At some stage I could not print at all and noticed the cupsd was hung and had to kill -9 it. Now printing happens but the errors persist.
>
> Is this one of the problems with this version, and what could be causing it?

By default, Solaris is equipped with a SYSV-type spooler. Before installing CUPS, it is advisable
to de-install that default spooler (by pkgrm xxxx, where xxxx are the package names you get
by pkginfo | grep -i 'solaris print').
As you already have installed, it may suffice to deactivate the default spooler
which is started by /etc/init.d/lp (resp. the symlink in the rcnn directories).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung