Retry limits and FIFO queueing

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Fri Jul 29 11:03:43 PDT 2005

A couple of years ago, we upgraded our print server and the Linux distro we were using switched from lprng to cups.

At that time, we had to scrap cups because of its lack of customization especially in two areas.

When I look at the current documentation, I still don't see any means of configuring them.  I'm hoping the features are there, and just an oversight in the documentation.  Since every Linux distro is making cups the default it would be nice to just be able to use it, instead of fighting and ripping it out, and putting lpr in place.

The two critical show stoppers for us are retry limits for a print job and making sure the queue is first job in, first job out.

What we were experiencing is that if the remote print box was unreachable, or its queue was full, cups would retry a few times, and then give up on the job and the user would have to reprint it.

Worse is if the remote queue is full and tells cups to retry later, cups would take that job, and put it at the end of the queue, and try the next item in the queue, so you would get jobs printed out of order.

Please tell me I'm just missing the config file options.  If not, then someone needs to really consider making more things customizable via options for highly demanding enterprise printing.