PPD rewrite error

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Fri Jul 8 09:24:48 PDT 2005

> I noticed a bug that happens with CUPS under various systems:
> Debian Sarge (CUPS 1.1.23), Mandrake 10.1 (CUPS 1.1.21 rc1).
>
> When certain printers options are set or unset from the CUPS configuration page, they are uncorrectly written to the PPD, thus making them unusable.
>
> For exemple, a PPD has the following option:
>
> *OpenUI *Option10_Duplex_Unit/Duplex Unit: PickOne
> *DefaultOption10_Duplex_Unit: False
> *Option10_Duplex_Unit False/Not Installed: ""
> *Option10_Duplex_Unit True/Installed: ""
> *CloseUI *Option10_Duplex_Unit
>
> After I tried to change it from the CUPS configuration page, it ends like that (check the 2nd line):
>
> *OpenUI *Option10_Duplex_Unit/Duplex Unit: PickOne
> *DefaultOption10: True
> *Option10_Duplex_Unit False/Not Installed: ""
> *Option10_Duplex_Unit True/Installed: ""
> *CloseUI *Option10_Duplex_Unit
>
> So you can see that the second line has been stripped. And it is not recognized so the option is not activated. This problem does not happen on every option in the same PPD. It only happens on certain ones, without apparent logic (I can't see if there is a character that causes that). And it happens on PPD files from multiple vendors (Ricoh, Lexmark, ...) but not systematically, so I do not think the PPD files themselves are in cause.
>
> Damien

I have also seen this problem on Mandriva LE 2005 (cups 1.1.23). (upgraded from Mandrake 10.1). One of the PPD files that have this problem is HP Laserjet 4300 Postscript driver from HP.

I suspect it's the underscore "_" that causes the problem.
I can not reproduce the problem although I believe it is there.