[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1229: rewrite error on PPDs

dams divotre at free.fr
Fri Jul 29 13:09:20 PDT 2005

[STR New]

I and other people have noticed a bug that happens with CUPS under various
systems:
Debian Sarge (CUPS 1.1.23), Mandrake 10.1 (CUPS 1.1.21 rc1).

When certain printers options are set or unset from the CUPS configuration
page, they are uncorrectly written to the PPD, thus making them unusable.

For exemple, a PPD has the following option:

*OpenUI *Option10_Duplex_Unit/Duplex Unit: PickOne
*DefaultOption10_Duplex_Unit: False
*Option10_Duplex_Unit False/Not Installed: ""
*Option10_Duplex_Unit True/Installed: ""
*CloseUI *Option10_Duplex_Unit

After I tried to change it from the CUPS configuration page, it ends like
that (check the 2nd line):

*OpenUI *Option10_Duplex_Unit/Duplex Unit: PickOne
*DefaultOption10: True
*Option10_Duplex_Unit False/Not Installed: ""
*Option10_Duplex_Unit True/Installed: ""
*CloseUI *Option10_Duplex_Unit

So you can see that the second line has been stripped. And it is not
recognized so the option is not activated. This problem does not
necessarly happen on every option in the same PPD. It may happen on
certain ones, without apparent logic (I can't see if there is a character
that causes that, may be the underscore?). And it happens on PPD files
from multiple vendors (Ricoh, Lexmark, ...) but not systematically, so I
do not know if the PPD files themselves are in cause.

I attach a badly generated PPD file (from CUPS 1.1.23 on Debian sarge) as
example (it happened on every option on this one).

Damien

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1229
Version: 1.1.23