Integration with Pharos Uniprint

Ian Chard ian.chard at sers.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 1 05:33:03 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to get CUPS working with Pharos Uniprint, which (in our
configuration) needs the user to specify a job name.  This name is then
used by the user to identify their job when they go to a release station
to pay for it.

As far as I can tell, all I need to do is give an argument to -J on the
lpr command line.  However, I'd like to pop up a dialog box to prompt
for the job name when the user sends it from the application.  I've
written a little hack to do this, but I need to know where in CUPS to
insert a hook to call this program and set the job name to that given
by the user.

I know it's kind of hacky to pop up dialog boxes from the printing
system, but the machines I'm going to be running this on will only ever
have one user logged on, and they will always be on the console.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
- Ian

Ian Chard, Unix & Network Administrator   |  E: ian.chard at sers.ox.ac.uk
Systems and Electronic Resources Service  |  T:  80587 / (01865) 280587
Oxford University Library Services        |  F:          (01865) 204937