Cups-pdf & iSeries

Chris Cox notccox at notairmail.net
Fri Jun 3 11:53:07 PDT 2005

Gianfranco wrote:
> I would convert some spool file (from an iSeries 5V3) to pdf using cups-pdf, but i don't know how to configure iSeries..
> Any hints?
> Thanks
>

> Ps. sorry for my english

If you're comfortable with writing your own scripts and such, I'd
do this using tea4cups.
http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/Tea4CUPS/action_Presentation

I have a similar need (but not with iSeries) and I'm going
to use tea4cups... the cups-pdf thing never worked right
for me.

In the past I have also used Samba for create a ps2pdf thing

[pdf]
        comment = Print to PDF
        path = /var/spool/pdf
        create mask = 0600
        printable = Yes
        browseable = Yes
        public = yes
        guest ok = yes
        use client driver = yes
        print command = /usr/local/sbin/ps2pdf %s '/%H/PDF' '%J'
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

Then in my ps2pdf (where the magic happens):

spoolname="$1"
dirname="$2"
resultname="$3"

resultname=`echo "$resultname" | sed 's,[/:.][/:.]*,_,g'`
/usr/bin/ps2pdf "$spoolname" "${dirname}/${resultname}.pdf"
#End ps2pdf

Obviously you mail the result somehow using a lookup table to
map the username to email address.  But I find that non-Windows
hosts may not effectively communicate usernames to a domain
integrated Samba print server (which is why I'm looking at
tea4cups).