Disabling printer->CUPS communication

Julius Schwartzenberg usenet-cups at zgod.cjb.net
Sun Jun 5 11:15:20 PDT 2005

Hi,
I seem to have a hardware problem, when trying to print to my Hewlett
Packard Deskjet 697C. I often get the following error in my logs when
trying to print:
Error: /rangecheck in .installpagedevice
Everything used to work without problems, but suddenly it started giving
this error. It sometimes does work, but most of the time it does not.
I've tried it on both my Slackware 10.0 x86 system and on my SPARC system
with Solaris 9. They both give the same error. When I disconnect the
printer and then start the job, it just sits in the queue and then gives me
the error at the point I connect the printer.

I've currently connected the printer to a MS Windows 98 system, and there I
was able to get it to work though! It was detected as a 'HP Deskjet 690C'
and using a generic driver it seems to print without problems!

I'm suspecting that somehow there is a communication error between the
printer and CUPS/the printerdriver and that the generic MS Windows driver
hasn't got any support for the extra communication between the printsystem
and the printer. I thought it might be possible to disable this extra
communication and to allow the printer to work.
I haven't been able to figure out how to do this though.
Does anybody have any idea how to do this or maybe recommend another
(generic) driver that I could use?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Julius