Randomly disabled printers

bernd at rhm.de bernd at rhm.de
Mon Jun 6 06:36:47 PDT 2005

Hi,
we are using cups 1.23 (SuSE 9.3). Many problems annoying in versions before seem to be fixed, fine. One problem still exists which came in
somwhat around 1.19. Network printers using the socket backend (on other connection types we don't see the problem till now) are randomly set 'disabled'.

We tried to figure out which event must take place to bring a printer into this state but we can't see any rule behind. We switched off some printers for days, the printers weren't disabled and when we switched them on the pending printjobs came out as excepted. We experimented with timeout values in cupsd.conf, no results. We tried the hints given by Helge in another thread, no results.

Can anybody give an explanation when cups decides to set a printer 'disabled' and how to prevent this. Or even better how we can control this behaviour. Normaly we don't like this, the printjobs should stay forever an a printer with e.g. no paper. But sometimes it could have benefits to configure some of the printers to go down after a special event.

Thanks in advance for your help
Bernd Rieke