Custom print command -- adding a new backend?

hanspv at klodrik.uio.no hanspv at klodrik.uio.no
Mon Jun 6 11:50:05 PDT 2005

I'm stumped.

I try to set up a CUPS queue that uses a shell command to print.  I.e. not just
dropping a file to a device, or using some pre-defined protocole like LPD,
but giving it to a script on stdin.

The documentation doesn't mention this (or I didn't find it), but I got the
impression that a "backend" script (bash/perl/whatever) could do the trick.

Is that right?  If so, how do I create a backend?  I found a few "extra"
scripts under  /usr/lib/cups/backend/ , but creating a script here & restarting
cupsd doesn't seem to get me anywhere.  The GUI still doesn't allow me to
choose any other connection type (it's only "Locally-connected", "Networked
CUPS", etc etc...).

Entring an unknown DeviceURI in /etc/cups/printers.conf doesn't work, it's
rejected by the gui.

How can I expand the list of possible connections, and force CUPS to pour
the print data to my script's STDIN ?

Any help, or pointers to relevant docs, is appreciated.

BTW, I'm using redhat EL4, but will need this for other architectures too.

regards,
Hans Peter