errors from macosx client to linux server

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Jun 8 06:08:27 PDT 2005

Anonymous wrote:

> I've a linux/cups print server with two printers connected to it (a magicolor2200 and an HPlaserjet)
>
> Connected to the server are some macosx clients (.3.x and .4.x), printing worked fine from the printers automagically coming up when cups browsing is enabled on them, except for some complex freehand/indesign/photoshop/ecc... files.
>
> The reasons why such files didn't worked are another story, basically PICT-encoded Postscript.
>
> The solution was turning browsing off on clients, and installing the printers as IPP printers, selecting locally the appropriate ppd, now every type of file prints well from any application, but ...
>
> If I ask for 2 copies of a job I get 4, asking for 3 will get you 9, asking for 9 will get someone to complain for the waste of paper.
> [...]

That's soft of a struggle between the pstops filter and the IPP backend.
For printers which CUPS
thinks they can do collated copies, the pstops filter inserts a PS
statement do
define the number of copies requested.
OTOH, the IPP backend forwards the copies parameter to the destination,
which in turn evaluates this
attribute.

It is a pity that the IPP RFCs leave this issue "implementation
dependent".

If not yet done by somebody, I'd file a STR on the CUPS web site.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung