Cups scaling

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Thu Jun 9 04:15:27 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to manage 600 network printers on a big AIX box (lots of CPU's / memory / disk space) that's part of a HA/CMP cluster.  Can CUPS handle this?
I have no idea of the number of print jobs, but it will be a lot.

Also, is it possible to install it as part of a cluster?  I mean, all printing is done on 1 node of the cluster.  If this fails, a second node takes over the printing.  So how to handle:
- printer configuration: syncing the needed config files?  Or configuring the printers on both nodes?
- print jobs: is it enough to mount the directory that holds the print jobs on the second node?  Will the second node pick up the jobs and reprint / resume them?

To maintain the 600 printers, is it possible to store the configuration in a database / flat file?  So with 1 click on the buttom, the printers are generated.  I probably can script this myself, but maybe there is already a solution.

Thanx,

Stef