interleaving pages of jobs

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Mon Jun 13 09:22:17 PDT 2005

> John Beamon wrote:
>
> > Please help me understand.  What does the updated pstops utility have to
> > do with me printing multi-page TIFF files?  My CUPS package provided my
> > pstops binary, and I've been unable to build the updated pstops on the
> > website.  What change could I expect in my own problem situation with an
> > updated pstops?
>
> Well you complained in your original post that the banner pages and the
> bodies
> of your print jobs get intermixed with print jobs originating from a
> different
> source.
> The reason is, that CUPS 1.1.x creates banner pages as separate files.
> Thus, your CUPS jobs consist of at least 3 different files, but from
> the printer's point of view, that is 3 different print jobs.
>
> The modified "alternate pstops filter" permits creating banner pages as
> part of the print job file, thus you then have one job (as seen from
> CUPS)
> and one job (as seen from the printer).
>
> Any questions?
>
> Helge

I'm having a problem where if 2 people, on 2 different computers,
print files like this:
Computer 1:  lpr file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt
Computer 2:  lpr file4.txt file5.txt file6.txt

The order that the jobs come out of the printer is scrambled, shuffled, or interleaved.  For example, it may come out like this:
file1.txt
file4.txt
file5.txt
file2.txt
file6.txt
file3.txt

I've tried to read all the information I can find about this problem.

It's been mentioned that this problem is being fixed in v1.2, does anyone know if it is fixed in the current snapshot version of 1.2.x r4535 (the changes.txt file doesn't indicate that it is, that I can find).

Also, I couldn't locate a bug number assigned to this problem, to see what it's repair status is. Does anyone know if there is one?

Also, where is the updated pstops that is being referred to?  Is it pstops v1.93h? (Though the pstops update sounds like it just ensures that banners are printed in the appropriate spot).

http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L164+P59

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jason