[cups.general] HP 2300dn always prints from manual tray

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Mon Jun 13 11:04:29 PDT 2005

Dave Thacker wrote:
> Printer HP 2300DN
> Linux   SuSe 9.3
> CUPS    1.1.23
> Driver  HP LaserJet Series V1.1(en)
>
> All test pages sent to this printer go to tray 1 (manual feed) tray, whether auto-select, default, tray 1, or tray2 are selected.  How can I correct this?

Usualy it should work, as you should have installed the PPD file,
which was made by HP (this is our default selection at installation
time).

My first guess is, that you didn't configure "Letter" papersize as the
default papersize for this printer. Then the printer wants to print
out a "A4" job and notices that only "Letter" is present in the trays.
The only solution, for your printer to print this A4 job out, is to
get the "A4" paper from the manual feed.

Solution:
Change "Letter" size in your application _and_ configure "Letter" for
this printer (this can be done on several ways, like: YaST --> Hardware
--> Printer --> "Change..." --> select the printer and "Edit..." again
--> select "Printer filter settings" and "Edit" again --> Select
"Media Size" and change to "Letter" --> [...finish it :) ...]).

Another guess:
There are sometimes some itches with this kind of printers, as they
detect wheter paper is present in the manual feed or not. If so, they
alwas choose the paper from the manual tray, regardless whether you
configured (by software) to choose a different tray or any other.

Solution:
Empty your manual feed

There might other issues, which might be responsible for this
behaviour. But in general the tray selection works.

Regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel