CUPS problem: option -o outputorder=reverse ignored!

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Wed Jun 15 15:44:36 PDT 2005

Tim,

I've changed the cupsd.conf file so that everything gets loged into error_log. And then restarted CUPS.

Then I tried again "lpr -o outputorder=reverse -o number-up=2 file", but again: the number-up option worked, outputorder=reverse didn't.

These were the error messages in the error_log file:

E [15/Jun/2005:23:10:36 +0100] [Job 101] Unable to open temp file: No such file or directory
E [15/Jun/2005:23:10:37 +0100] [Job 101] pdftops-options: -cfg /etc/cups/pdftops.conf

The first error message reminded me that I probably deleted the /var/spool/cups/tmp file at some point by mistake, in a premature attempt to do some maintenance in the /var folder (I've now discovered logrotate which does the job for me...) Which turned out to be the case, so I made another directory and made it writable. This sorted the first error message, and the -o outputorder=reverse option WORKS AGAIN! I suppose that the tmp file is needed when printing from page n to page 1 so that pages 1 to n-1 can be saved there before starting to print the last page. I only started using debian a few months ago, but slowly and gradually things start making more and more sense. And its more and more fun... despite (or maybe because) the learning curve...

Can you help me understand what the second message means?

Thanks a lot, Udo