[cups.general] automatic printer discovery

John Morton jwm at cranenz.co.nz
Wed Jun 15 20:02:00 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 01:30, Anonymous wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I am deploying a print server based on linux and cups, and I have set up the automatic broadcast of printers. While this works well on linux workstations, it does not on windows. From windows, I have to manually connect printers.
> It would be very nice to have printers automatically configured, especially for laptops. Is this possible on windows or not?

Windows doesn't pick up the broadcast information the CUPS sends out.
You'd have to configure samba to export the printers. The sort version
of that story is that a recent samba configuration will
export all the prints in cups if you tell it to use the cups
printing system and set up the magic [printer] share. However, you
probably will want to set up the [print$] share containing printer
drivers so that the printers install plug and play style.

Have a look in the samba manual for the details:

http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html

John