Windows hangs "Opening Printer", Debian 3.1, CUPS 1.1.23-10

Tech Support techsupport at gobaci.com
Fri Jun 17 11:45:14 PDT 2005

Hello everyone,

We have a small office of 6 desktops printing to two printers on our new little Debian 3.1 box running CUPS 1.1.23-10. The desktops are running Windows 2000, and to get around some of the stickiness adding the printers to 2000, each of the printers is in it's own class, and then added to the dekstops by class, as doing it directly by "printers" will not work.

All the security directives in the cupsd.conf file allow access from loopback and the the LAN.

The trouble is, the printers can be added just fine, but after a couple of days, the printers then become inaccessible, and when one tries to do a "Properties" of a printer through the Windows control panel, it shows the printer as "Opening Printer...", at which point, the control panel applet hangs.

If one tries to print directly to the printer, there is an error saying the printer is unavailable.

I have tried everything I can think of, all to no avail.

Are there any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.