CUPS automatically stops printers

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sat Jun 18 02:29:36 PDT 2005

Joris wrote:

> Helge Blischke a écrit :
> > Joris wrote:

> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I'm sorry but the problem occured again. The hpnpf backend works
> >>well for sure, but the printer sometimes get in "pause" state
> >>automatically.
> >>
> >>Have you got some more infos/hints about this issue ?
> >>Anyway, thank you for your time you spent to help me :)
> >>
> >>Cheers
> >

> > Did you see messages like
> >
> > E [02/Jun/2005:08:31:07 -0100] [Job 7268] SigPipe: received SIGPIPE
> >
> > in your error_log?
> >
> > If yes, the printer probably does not honour the @PJL USTATUS JOB and
> > related commands which
> > the hpnpf backend issues. Depending on the printer and/or the JetDirect
> > firmware version,
> > the printer may simply shut down the connection after it has received
> > the job instead of
> > waiting until the job has been printed ...
> >
> > You may use hpnpf as a standalone utility (use "hpnpf" without any
> > command line parameters to get a
> > short description of all the available options)
> >
> > Helge
> >

> Yes indeed, i can see this error message in my logs.
>
> My printer (HP8150) firmware is up to date, so the mystery is full :p
>
> Thanks for your help Helge, i'll try to tweak hpnpf later.
> Til then, i stick with my auto-restart script.
>
> Cheers.

Strange. As I happen to have an HP8150 at hand, I just tested it using hpnpf offline:

% hpnpf -x hp8150 -W -T testprint.ps
token = @PJL USTATUS PAGE
token = 1
token = ID=8018
token = @PJL USTATUS JOB
token = END
token = NAME="xxxxxx.11923"
token = PAGES=0
token = ID=8019
token = RESULT=OK

The date code of the printer is "20020311" for all components, and the JetDirect
is J4169A.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke