"lp: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable"

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Jun 20 06:22:17 PDT 2005

manfred.schaumburg at arcor.de wrote:
> I installed cups on a server and printing via lp works fine.
> But if i try to access the server from an other client via lp i get
> the message "lp: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable".
> I configured the Servername in /etc/cups/client.conf. On the client
> lpstat -t shows
> scheduler is running
> no system default destination
> lpstat: get-classes failed: server-error-service-unavailable
> lpstat: get-printers failed: server-error-service-unavailable
> lpstat: get-printers failed: server-error-service-unavailable
> lpstat: get-printers failed: server-error-service-unavailable
> lpstat: get-jobs failed: server-error-service-unavailable
> ---
> Why is it not possible to access the server from a client on an other computer?

More than likely the server's cupsd.conf file is not allowing remote
connections.

Make sure you have:

     Listen *:631

or:

     Port 631

in place of the non-standard (but often used in Linux distros):

     Listen 127.0.0.1:631

Also, you may also need to change the access control directives
inside the <Location /> section near the bottom of the file.