Sharp AR-M550U with user account numbers needs PJL?

Steve Marple s.marple+cups at tesla.dcs.lancs.ac.uk
Tue Jun 21 06:32:41 PDT 2005

I have access to print to a Sharp AR-M550U photocopier/printer. It's installed such that to copy or print users *must* enter their account number. Windows users enter their code into a dialog box under printer preferences. The driver creates a PS or PCL file with some PJL commands at the start, including one to control accounting details on the photocopier:

@PJL SET ACCOUNTNUMBER="11111"

How do I persuade CUPS that this PostScript printer should be fed PJL  commands? Without it all I get is a notice page stating "Printing by unregistered account code is disabled by key operator programs."

I downloaded a PPD file and I modified JCLBegin to include the account number setting. JCLBegin is now:

*JCLBegin: "<1B>%-12345X at PJL JOB<0A>@PJL SET ACCOUNTNUMBER=<22>21807<22><0A>@PJL SET DUPLEX=ON<0A>@PJL SET BINDING=SHORTEDGE<0A>@PJL SET OUTTRAY=TRAY2<0A>"

but CUPS outputs PostScript with any PJL before it.

I'm using CUPS 1.1.22 on Redhat FC3 and CUPS 1.1.23 on Gentoo (Base System version 1.4.16)