Hp 2250n laserjet + CUPS RAW printing

Nick De Decker nick at i-vision.be
Wed Jun 22 03:10:27 PDT 2005

Hello,

I'm having issues with a HP 2550n color laserjet using network printing.

>From time to time it just wont print, the data led keeps flashing on the printer, it's not really job dependant sometimes it just works after a couple of retries.

In CUPS the printer was added using a RAW queue and the following device URI:  socket://192.168.5.40:9100

The clients are all windows xp and I setup IPP printing (so going directly to cups). I first set it up as a SMB printer, but then i switched to direct IPP printing to rule out a possible samba problem.

When I let the clients print directly to the printer or I share the printer on a windows client there are no problems at all, it always prints then.

But ofcourse I would like CUPS do the queuing for me instead of setting up direct printing on each client or share it on one of the clients.

Can someone tell me what could be wrong ?
First time I ran into trouble with cups, same setup worked for me with tons of other printers ... I mean all it should do is queue some RAW printfiles and send them to the printer.

Hope someone has some pointers for me...
Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Nick De Decker