paper out detection on parallel backend

Maximiliano Curia maxy at rivero.com.ar
Thu Jun 23 07:07:40 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm using cups with an Epson Stylus Color 800, it prints great, but doesn't detect error states as out of paper, although the dmesg shows:
lp0: out of paper

Cups keeps sending data to the printer till the printer memory is full, then fails, dropping all jobs in queue. And when the user puts a sheet of paper in the printer it prints about half the page then stops, letting the printer in an unussable state.

I've tested with the foomatic/stcolor, foomatic/st800ih, and gimpprint drivers but all have the same behaviour.

It's DeviceURI is epson:/dev/lp0

Please, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.