CUPS Not Propagating JobSheets to BrowsePoll Recipients?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Jun 23 10:14:15 PDT 2005

B.J. Black wrote:
> Sorry to be a pest, but my users are bugging me... :-/
>
> So I have a central CUPS server, and many CUPS clients.  The clients all BrowsePoll the central server for printers (and there are lots), and receive PPD and other information accordingly.
>
> Everything works except:  JobSheets
>
> For some reason, if I set JobSheets in the CUPS server, the clients never get that option set.  I've tried everything up to and including removing all traces of CUPS on a client (the RPM, /etc/cups, etc.) and reinstalling--no good.  The option never gets set in the client UI, nor does printing an actual page get a JobSheet.  Printing from the CUPS server works as expected.
>
> Is there some option I've failed to set on the clients?  Should I use some method other than BrowsePoll?  Does CUPS just not do that, forcing me to start running scripts on the clients just to set JobSheets for all printers (ugh)?
>
> I'm using the versions of CUPS that comes with RHEL 3 and 4 (1.1.17 and 1.1.22, respectively).

Remote printers, whether discovered via BrowsePoll or UDP broadcast,
do not have the local job-sheets-default attribute set (which comes
from the JobSheets directive in printers.conf).  The client will
not assign a job-sheets value for incoming jobs, but instead will
just assume that the server will assign one upon receipt.

I seem to remember that there was a bug with this implementation
detail back around the 1.1.17 days, but we've since fixed it in the
last 3 years since 1.1.17 was released...