[cups.general] How to buffer&manageprint-jobs?

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Fri Jun 24 00:07:01 PDT 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 05:56:21PM -0400, Anonymous wrote:

> I am looking for a solution to solve the following problem:
>
> - Many users are using 1 printer
> - all printjobs are to be set on pause/hold
> - every printjob has to be (re)started by an admin
> - there needs to be a bannerpage with username,date/time,number of pages
>
> Goal is to manage our students printing-service at school.
> There is one printer to be used from several terminals.
> All jobs should be stored in a queue.
> The student appears in office,  we start the printjob, and he/she has to pay per page.
>
> Sadly I do not know if cups can do this for me and how to configure it to do so if it is possible.
>
> If there is any solution possible I would be glad to hear from you.
> you can also mail me directly to "asta [at] mivogt [dot] net"

I'd suggest you to give a look at the work done by Ludovic Hutin
at :

  http://u2.u-strasbg.fr/pykota/client-server.htm

This is a hold and release system on top of CUPS and the PyKota
print quota and accounting software which is available from :

  http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/PyKota/action_Presentation

hth

Jerome Alet