Using CUPS with Suse 9.3 and Lexmark E312 on LAN Print Server

Michael Fritz spam_athome at yahoo.de
Sat Jun 25 05:17:36 PDT 2005

Hi,

I've set up CUPS on my Suse Linux 9.3 (all available updates from Suse
are installed) to print on my Lexmark Optra E312 laser printer.

This printer is plugged into a LAN print server box which can be access
usind lpd://192.168.6.99/lp2 where "lp2" is the printer queue for this
USB printer. I'm using the "Lexmark Optra E312 Foomatic/Postscript
(recommended)" PPD file or better selection form the CUPS setup, which
was delivered by Suse.

This setup worked well before with a Mandrake 10.x installation, however
the actual Suse Linux system is printing only garbage. This means: the
print job reaches the print server in my LAN but the printout contains
only some pages with ASCII text on it.

It begins with:
%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%%Pages: (atend)
%%Boundingbox: (atend)

It seems the printer does not know how to handle this PS definition (is
it really a PS-definition?).

Perhaps someone can give me some advice how I can get this problem solved.

Thanks,
cu
Michael