Completed jobs remain in queue blocking others

s.davison at computer.org s.davison at computer.org
Sat Jun 25 07:10:10 PDT 2005

I just installed my first cups printer:
/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p DeskJet -E -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -m deskjet.ppd

Delightfully easy!

But my problem is that completed jobs will not leave
the queue:
o  I send a file to the printer
o  The job completes (by which I mean the paper comes
   out of the printer with the expected text or graphics
   on it).
o  I try to print something else, but nothing happens.
o  If I look at the queue (lpq), I see both the old job
   and the new one.
o  If I do "lprm <id>" where <id> is the job ID of the old
   job, then the new job starts printing
o  While one of those leftover jobs is in queue, cupsd CPU
   usage (as seen in top) is in the high 90s.

Configuration information below.

I would much appreciate any suggestions for solutions
or pointers to appropriate documentation.

Thanks.

Stowe Davison

cups version is 1.1.23

$ uname -a
Linux swd3 2.6.10-5-386 #1 Tue Jun 7 08:26:42 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=5.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=hoary
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu (The Hoary Hedgehog Release)"
$