pdf checkboxes

bikerc at yah00.com bikerc at yah00.com
Mon Jun 27 16:38:29 PDT 2005

OS: Redhat AS 3.0

I have a pdf document that contains checkboxes but when I try to view it with kghostview the checkboxes don't show up. I installed acrobat reader 7.0 and the checkboxes are fine.

Printing is the same. If I use lp to print the document the printout doesn't contain the checkboxes. However, when I print using acrobat which apparently uses the lp command the document is perfect. To make things even worse I created with Acrobat a simple pdf file with a check box and a text besides the check box and this time the checkboxes are printed fine.

Could someone explain me what's going on or point me to a document that could have some relevance into this? I am a newbie to CUPS, as far as my understanding goes when you print a pdf file using the lp command there are filters that convert pdf file to the "language" understood by the printer. Is my problem a problem with one of these filters used by CUPS?

Another thing that I found confusing is the role of ppd files and their interaction with the printer drivers. I downloaded the printer driver for my printer and I still haven't figure out how to make my printer (xerox workcentre 45) driver available in the printers list in the web interface (http://localhost:631). There is some documentation that says I should copy the ppd file that comes with the printer driver to the usr/share/cups/model folder by I don't understand how is CUPS going to know where is the printer driver (which is installed in usr/Xerox/xpxx).

Thank you