How does CUPS determine server destination?

angelb at bugarin.us angelb at bugarin.us
Mon Jun 27 20:15:15 PDT 2005

Hi all.

I have two servers, Server A and Server B, having the same
printers and both server are running concurrently.

A client is setup to Server A as its default server and at
the same time a BrowsePoll is set to query Server B.

When the client system sends a print job, does it send its
job directly to the default server or does the scheduler
somehow employs an algorithm that will select a server based
on certain criteria? If so, how does scheduler determine
which server and what are the criteria?

We have users who have been asking the question but I'm not
certain or know how to answer it.

I've already went through FAQs and read through documentations
but have not found or came close to finding an answer to the
above questions.

Any hints, ideas, or suggestions is much appreciated... :)

Thanks!
Angel