Using serial number based device URI for USB

Sebastian James seb at hypercubesystems.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 03:25:35 PDT 2005

> Run the command "lpinfo -v" as root, with the printer connected and
> turned on. Then you will get shown all available device URIs, including
> the correct one for your USB printer. Especially there must be a '/'
> instead of a '%20' between "hp" and "deskjet".
>
>     Till

When I run lpinfo -v, there are a number of entries for usb which are:

direct usb:/dev/usb/lp0
...up to...
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp15

But no entry referring to my printer in the usb://DSC?=serial form.

I looked in the cups compile options, and could see no option to specifically switch the feature on or off. Can you think of why there are only the /dev/usb/ entries?

Seb