Using serial number based device URI for USB

Sebastian James seb at hypercubesystems.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 03:32:47 PDT 2005

> > Run the command "lpinfo -v" as root, with the printer connected and
> > turned on. Then you will get shown all available device URIs, including
> > the correct one for your USB printer. Especially there must be a '/'
> > instead of a '%20' between "hp" and "deskjet".
> >
> >     Till
>
> When I run lpinfo -v, there are a number of entries for usb which are:
>
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp0
> ...up to...
> direct usb:/dev/usb/lp15
>
> But no entry referring to my printer in the usb://DSC?=serial form.
>
> I looked in the cups compile options, and could see no option to specifically switch the feature on or off. Can you think of why there are only the /dev/usb/ entries?
>
> Seb

I re-started the cups daemon, and the entry for my printer appears:

direct usb://hp/deskjet%209300?serial=MY34E330YK8D

So, it's necessary to have the printer plugged in when cups is started to have the device recognised.

It'd be nice if this entry would dynamically appear and disappear. I'll add this as a feature request.

Thanks for your help Till.

Seb