[cups.general] Display username on printer lcd panel

Lars Anderson lsa at business.aau.dk
Tue Jun 28 06:43:27 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 08:37:53, Helge Blischke wrote:

Hi,

> The pstops filter emits a JCL statement like
> 	@PJL JOBNAME = ... DISPLAY = id user title
> where id is the job-ID, user the job-originating-user-name and title the job-name.

First, as far as I can tell the code for this in emit.c is only executed
if the JCLBegin line in the PPD for the printer contains \033%-12345X@
Second, most of the PPD's for my HP printers have nothing in this line.
Putting it in has no effect, my HP printers ignore the JOB DISPLAY
command.

> If that isn't sufficient, you'd hack the sources (cups/emit.c in the source tree)
> or file a RFE (request for enhancements) hoping that your request finds the way
> into CUPS 1.2

Hacking emit.c to put in the RDYMSG DISPLAY command works, but is
kinda ugly since it just replaces the normal READY message and
therefore stays on the display until the next job.

Does anyone have the normal JOB DISPLAY command working on a HP printer?

Lars