[cups.general] snippage of flammage

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Tue Jun 28 07:03:38 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 19:50 -0400, Anonymous wrote:
> CUPS IS F**KING SHIITE IT IS THE WORST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IT IS
> IMPOSSIBLE TO CONFIGURE EASILY  WHY THE F**K F**K F**K HAVE YOU GOT A
> F**KING COMMAND LINE CONFIGURATION INTERFACE!!!???????????????????//
> WHY WHY WHY    WHAT DOES IT MEAN BROWSEADDRESS WHOSE DOING THE
> BROWSING THEW F**KING SERVER IM CONFIGURING OR THE F**KING CLIENT
> WHICH F**KING BROWSEALLOW DOES IT REFER TO THE F**KING SERVER BROWSING
> OF THE F**KING CLIENT WHAT IS TALL THIS SHIT YOU JUST WANT A SIMPLE
> INTERFACE AND IM SICK OF F**KIONG
> COMMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 IN THE F**KING CONF
> FILE   F**K YOU ALL YOU BASTARDS F**K YOU TO HE** FIRE AND DA**ATION
> F**K YOU F**K YOU F**K YOU

Brilliant. 38 Bleeps. Must be a Windows (l)user.

For one thing, if you don't know how to Read The Fine Manual, then you
don't have any real right to screem and holler like this. Even then, if
you'd just ask a SANE question, it'd be much easier to help you out.

Cups DOES have a GUI configuration. You just didn't read the "faq" or
"quick start", the only thing that has to be manually edited for is for
the REALLY advanced stuff. Which of course I doubt you were trying to
use in the first place. http://localhost:631

Many people have seen the simplicity of CUPS once you sit down and
"comprehend" the design concept. It isn't too difficult.

Each "CUPS Daemon" can advertise all of its queues, they all listen
unless you want "configured" printers only. When the daemon looks for
the "browse address" it is making sure that it either listens by default
on all interfaces or on specific ones. The daemons listens on the wire
for other CUPS Daemons to advertise the queues they have.

Once they advertise, the "local" (the machine you are trying to setup)
will automagically add those queues to the "local printcap" making it
easy for most applications to print in a UNIX environment.

IPP is used and is literally a Brilliant concept, Though the Not
Invented Here syndrome has left very lack luster support in Windows for
Direct IPP Printing, if you are trying to use CUPS along with Samba,
there are MANY MANY documents that are available to you. If you have
questions usually the proper place is the Samba mailing lists.

Use your (Obviously Elite) google-fu to find them. Being a trivial task
to find them. Nothing is so somplicated with CUPS as to warrant this
Flammage you have thrown us.
greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

Rearing in quaffed monk, you stun me by employing eight windows when the
priest is but iodine.