Remote Printing Question

acentofanti at yahoo.com acentofanti at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 11:20:52 PDT 2005

I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help me with regarding remote printing via CUPS.  I have read through the administration manual and a number of how-to's and such on the net but am still having problems.

My setup:  Epson Color Stylus 860; An Ubuntu linux box as the server; various unix based clients (2 OS X, one Ubuntu).  I have successfully configured the server to print to the Epson via the parallel port and (after much teeth gnashing) gotten the server to accept print jobs from other machines on the network.  The problem is I can get a client (for this example I'll use my OSX (Tiger) box) to connect and partially print.  If the document is one page long it will print the page and hang.  If the document is longer than one page the server will print one page and hang.  In either case looking at the queue via either the Ubuntu utilities, CUPS web admin program or the command line tools shows the server as "processing." If I delete the hung job the next job will start, but display the same problems after printing the first page.  On top of this, everything just seems really slow.  It takes forever between the client sending the print job and the printer firing up.

Possibly related to this, and another configuration topic I'm a little hazy about, is how I've set up the printer drivers.  My default setup was creating a printer profile on the server that uses the supplied Epson Color Stylus 860 driver.  As I mentioned, all works well when the print job originates from that machine.  Now, when I set up each client should I also set them with Epson Color Stylus 860 drivers, or should they be set to "Raw" since the server will do all the appropriate work?

Any help would be appreciated,

N.